ABDUL HALIM MU'ADZAM
SHAH @ PENANG SECOND BRIDGE
1. Dual lane carriageways with a dedicated motorcycle lane
- 3.5 meters wide for slow and fast lane.
- 2.4 meters wide for the emergency lane.
- 3 meters wide for the motorcycle lane.
2. The motorcycle lane is separated from the car’s lane by a removable New Jersey Barrier (NJB).
3. The overall length of the bridge is 24km with 16.9km is the length of the marine bridge over the water.
4. Main Navigational Span:
- 475 meters Cable Stayed Bridge.
- 240 meters of Main Navigational Span.
- 30 meters clearance from the sea level.
5. Approach Span:
Box Girder Bridge with 55 meters interval.
6. The first bridge in Malaysia to incorporate the High Damping Natural Rubber Bearing (HDNRB) that enables the bridge to withstand far field earthquake of more than 7.5 at the Richter scale.
7. The first bridge in Malaysia to use the Seismic Expansion Joints and Noise Reduction Seismic Expansion Joints.
8. Speed limit is 80km/h.
9. The first expressway concessionaire in Malaysia to adopt an Integrated Toll Collection System at Jambatan Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah Integrated Toll Plaza / Bandar Cassis PLUS Toll Plaza on the Mainland
High Damping Natural Rubber Bearing (HDNRB):
A Malaysian innovation, developed at the Tun Abdul Razak Research Centre in the UK, a research lab belongs to Malaysian Rubber Board.
HDNRB provides better seismic isolation systems that enable the bridge to withstand a far field earthquake up to 7.5 of the Richter scale.
2,704 units of HDNRB are installed for Jambatan Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah.
Green Building Index (GBI)
Jambatan Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah Toll Plaza Complex is the first building in Penang awarded with Platinum rating for the Green Building Index (GBI).
The Jambatan Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah Integrated Toll Plaza / Bandar Cassia PLUS Toll Plaza is also awarded with a Gold rating for the GBI.
The Toll Plaza Complex is designed by using 80% Industrial Building System (IBS) that have minimum impact to the environment, better quality control and faster.
First embankment designed for an upgraded secondary consolidation criterion
The 7km land expressway linking the bridge with the PLUS Expressway on the mainland is designed and constructed for 50mm settlement in 20 years, the first expressway designed with this requirement in Malaysia.